Saturday 3 December, 2011

Love and Other Drugs

This post is not about you. Get over yourself, really.

I've decided that this is the appropriate font for a blog entry. It feels right. And typewriter-y. Na?
I have a few questions about relationships and since I'm pretty much talking to myself, I'm going to attempt to answer them truthfully. These queries deal with societal generalisations and will therefore be addressed accordingly. Some may seem trivial but I urge you to read through them. They might change your life. Probably won't, but why take a chance, eh?

1. Why does one need to have 'boundaries' in a relationship?
What are boundaries? Who defines them? If they're individualistic, then they might as well not exist in this context, right? When I say boundaries I mean like I can't date an ex-girlfriend's best friend, or younger sister. I don't get it. She's attractive, I can get her to like me and she reminds me of you. It's perfect. It's weird? What does that even mean? That doesn't mean a damn thing. You're only assuming that it will be awkward. It's forbidden because those with authority and influence deem it inappropriate, unfit.
Human beings aren't born with ties, not even those of blood. Babies come out of the womb with only one attachment, and that's severed very soon by the mother herself. I can foresee a horde of conditioned people being repulsed by this very soon, so let me illustrate with the help of an example.
Maggie was born to John and Jane but put up for adoption. She was taken in by Laurie and Leslie. Laurie and Leslie also have a biological son, Hector. Can Maggie and Hector fall in love (assuming love has a type, but we'll get to that one later)? What if Maggie didn't know she was adopted? Would it be incest either way? Is it 'wrong'? How about if they were Parsis, does that make it alright? If John and Jane had a son called Peter, could he see Maggie if he didn't know they were related? And if he did? If Maggie dated Garth and then turned him gay, would it be okay if Garth and Peter hooked up? What if Peter was a girl instead and Garth cheated on Maggie with her? Is that as bad as cheating on someone with their sister? Why is cheating with the sister or mother or cousin worse?

I don't get it. Boundaries are constructed. You go with what you feel, that's fine. Ultimately, you've got to sleep at night (or whenever, whatever floats your boat), I understand. All I'm saying is that if you're allowed to express your emotions, I shouldn't be restricted from following mine just because yours happen to slot into the majority category - also known as normal. Marginalisation happens to everyone. Don't get agitated about it, just accept it.

P.S. - I will update this post as and when I can. If you have a question (even an agony aunt type one, I'm actually very good) please leave a comment and I'll get back to you. Thank you for your time.

No comments: