Monday 5 December, 2011

Why can't we be friends?

"Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
I know you want me dead.
Why can't we be friends?"
                                    - Ancient Chinese Proverb.

It strikes me as highly ironic that anyone who would understand the humour in this post will never read it. That's curious, right? If I'm cracking inside jokes in a blog entry that's accessible around the world, then it stands to reason that the people I made these quips with, wherever they are, can read it and chuckle softly to themselves. Why aren't my friends following my blog entries?

We're slowly moving toward a world where your cell phone wallpaper says more about you than the wallpaper in your home. Your status will change with the death of a relative, but your face won't even twitch. It makes me infinitely sad that we're replacing the human touch with touch screens. Will our children ever know the unbridled joy of isolation? Can they imagine what it's like to think without assault?

Give me solitary confinement.

No comments: